Thursday, May 26, 2011

This week has gone by so fast, and I can’t believe it’s already Thursday. Monteverde is beautiful, and we have experienced so much. I absolutely love my family here. Originally, I thought the child in my family was twelve years old, but when I got here, I found out he is actually five months old. It was quite a surprise, but the baby has been so much fun! . Someone is always holding him, and I don’t think they ever put him down. I was kind of nervous to hold him the first two days, but now I feel like I am really bonding with my hermano Tico. Last night, my Tico parents had a dance teacher come over to their house. Evidently they take lessons at their house once every week. They asked if I wanted to join in, and I told them I would wanted to watch first; but before I knew it, I was dancing around the living room with my Papa Tico and then the instructor. I had so much fun! I learned the basic steps, and then the men just led me around, and all I had to do was follow. That was probably one of my favorite nights with my family so far. I was really missing being able to talk to my real family, and I am so glad that my Tico family was so warm and welcoming. It really helps having a “mama” here to take care of me!

We went to the primary school here on Tuesday, and the children were so sweet. I worked with three little boys, and we taught our lesson about leaves. They seemed to really like having the leaves to touch and look at. I thought they would jump out of their seats when I told they could write on the leaves. They thought that was pretty exciting! I thought it went well, and the language barrier wasn’t too much of an issue. I knew all the words I wanted them to use when describing the leaves, and I had my dictionary for any words I didn’t know!

I feel like I have learned more Spanish while I have been here than all of my time in school. Now I just feel like I need to practice, practice, practice! I really like going home and talking with my family. My biggest problem is that sometimes I say things to my family, and they don’t understand me because of my poor pronunciation. That is definitely what I need to work on the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment